The Nuclear Security Contact Group (NSCG) was established at the 2016 Nuclear Security Summit through the Joint Statement on Sustaining Action to Strengthen Global Nuclear Security.
The co-sponsors of the Joint Statement agreed to help address continuing and evolving nuclear security challenges, with the objectives of advancing implementation of nuclear security commitments and building a strengthened, sustainable and comprehensive global nuclear security architecture.
The NSCG or “Contact Group” has been established with the aim of facilitating cooperation and sustaining engagement on nuclear security after the conclusion of the Nuclear Security Summit process. The Contact Group is tasked with:
- Convening annually on the margins of the General Conference of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), and, as may be useful, in connection with other related meetings;
- Discussing a broad range of nuclear security-related issues, including identifying emerging trends that may require more focused attention;
- Promoting and assessing implementation of nuclear security commitments, including those made during the Nuclear Security Summit process, reflected in the four Nuclear Security Summit Communiqués, the 2010 Washington Work Plan, the 2016 Action Plans, national commitments and associated joint statements, and gift baskets;
- Developing and maintaining linkages to nongovernmental experts and nuclear industry; and,
- Determining any additional steps that may be appropriate to support these goals.